Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Titles: The Bane of a Writer's Existence

Why is it so hard coming up with decent titles? I've always struggled with it. Woven has gone through several titles over the years, some of which I guarantee I'll never recall. The other books in its trilogy have had various iterations too. Same with the series title.

And it's series titles that are giving me the most grief right now. I'm trying to come up with a series title for my superhero stories. I have a vague notion of the series plot lines that'll run through the books. Right now, I've got about 5 books in the series. I'll be world-building on them come January to really make them connect and pop while standing alone. (There'll be a definite reading order though.)

I think every project I write or set out to write goes through the angst of finding the right name. I know titles change 99.999% of the time between contract and appearing on shelves for purchasing. But it's important to have a title if for no other reason than to be able to hashtag the angst of writing and revising the thing. (And tagging posts appropriately on one's blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment